The next territorial elections will take place on Sundays March 20 and 27. It is an important political meeting in the life of the territory since the population is called upon to choose the women and men who will govern the territory locally for five years. However, few Saint-Martinoises and Saint-Martinois go to the polls. In the last elections in March 2017, less than half voted in the second round. Which neighborhoods have the highest participation? Response elements based on figures from prefecture services in 2012 and 2017.
• The neighborhoods where people vote the most
– The areas of Friar's Bay, Cripple Gate, Colombier, Rambaud, Morne O'Reilly and La Savane are those where people vote the most. In the second round in March 2017, 52% of the 2 people registered on the lists went to the polls (i.e. 581). Five years earlier, it was also in these neighborhoods that participation was the strongest with just over 1 out of 335 people who had voted. The votes cast in these sectors represent 6% of the total votes in 10 compared to 22% in 2017.
– The Concordia district also recorded one of the highest turnout rates, with 48% of those registered who voted (1). Even if the participation remains important compared to the other sectors, it is one of those which recorded the strongest decreases in five years (414% against 48% in 59). The votes cast in these sectors represent 2012% of the total votes in 22, 2017% in 23.
– Third sectors where participation appears to be high, those of Orient Bay and part of Quartier d'Orléans. 48% of the 2 people registered on the lists voted in 263 (i.e. 2017). The votes cast in these sectors represent 1% of the total votes in 087, compared to 12% in 2017.
– The participation rate in the Sandy Ground, Baie Nettle and Terres Basses sectors is practically equal to the general participation rate, ie 46% (1 voters out of 108 registered). It is down 2 points in five years. The votes cast in these sectors represent 414% of the total votes in 11 and 12.
To be continued: the neighborhoods where people vote the least. (soualigapost.com)
4,841 total views, 3 views today